In honor of the late Rev Billy Graham, we would like to bring to light his plenary address from the First International Congress on World Evangelization in 1974. Available in both print and audio, ‘Why Lausanne?’ is as compelling today as it was more than 40 years ago. We pray that as you experience Rev Graham’s address for yourself, you can draw closer to the heartbeat of global missions and find renewed zeal to take part in the evangelization of the world. That the Earth May Hear His Voice!
To help guide you through this core resource, we have provided an outline below.
- Audio Outline
- (00:00) Introduction by Bishop Jack Dain
- (01:42) Introductory remarks by Billy Graham
- (07:12) The state of the world and missions in 1974
- (17:44) The four foundations of the Congress:
- (18:06) #1: The longstanding tradition of gatherings such as these
- (27:56) #2: The unity across generational, socioeconomic, and cultural divides
- (31:46) #3: The commitment to biblical principles and values, including evangelism
- (50:22) #4: Reflections and strategies on the evangelization of the world
- (56:29) Graham’s four hopes for the Congress
- (59:19) The need for prayer and the Holy Spirit